Our chiropractor and staff at Captiol Rehab of Crofton know that it's hard to find a sanctuary from the stress of today’s busy word. Pressures come at us from all directions that often catch up with us in the form of tension headaches. If you have the pain of repeated tension headaches, there’s help for you here in Crofton.
Answers to your Questions about Tension Headaches
What are the symptoms of a Tension Headache?
About 90 percent of all adults in this country have headaches and many of those are caused by tension. While tension headaches can be quite painful, the good news is that they are seldom the indication of anything more serious than just a stressful lifestyle.
Common symptoms of a tension headache include:
- A headache that originates at the back of the head and moves forward over the sides and top.
- Muscle tightness in the jaw, neck, and shoulders.
- Sleep problems.
- Dull pressure or squeezing pain in the head that is often described as a vice or tight band around the head.
- Trouble eating.
- Pain or pressure on both sides of the head equally.
What Causes Tension Headaches?
New scientific studies show that an increase in muscle tension is not the cause. Medical researchers have identified changes in chemicals in your brain called neurotransmitters (e.g. serotonin) as the real culprit for your pain.
The reason for muscle tightness may be the fluctuation in these neurotransmitters serving as triggers that cause the muscle tightness. Common triggers of tension headaches include the following:
- Neck or head injury (even old injuries)
- Clenching the jaw
- Alcohol and/or drugs
- Certain medications (even some medications for headaches that often cause rebound headaches)
- Grinding teeth
- Holding your head in one position for too long (like using a computer a cell phone)
- Sleeping in a cold room or in an awkward position.
- Hormonal changes
- Sleeping on the wrong pillow or a worn-out mattress
Can a Chiropractor Help?
Chiropractic care offers natural and effective treatments for tension headaches. Depending on your needs, your doctor may make adjustments that realign your spine and vertebrae, use massage and other treatments that encourage relaxation of your muscles, as well as recommend certain lifestyle changes.
If you are looking for relief for your tension headaches, call us at Capitol Rehab of Crofton. Our chiropractor and staff want to answer your questions and offer relief from the pains caused by the stressors in your life.
Capitol Rehab of Crofton
1302 Cronson Blvd Suite F
Crofton, MD 21114
Phone: (410) 451-3561